Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Page 5 out of 5 | <<<12345>>>
Good Staff Are Hard To Find These Days
Frank Jorgensen wrote...
I can only agree with the general sentiment here.

Though you've got a good side and a bad side. Yes, there are many out there who will volunteer for sites (we have a few volunteer writers), but on the other hand there are also thousands and thousands of sites out there whom they can work for.

So in the end you have to keep some things in mind:

- Stand out. Don't be just a dime-a-dozen throw up a blog review site.
- Have a broad but defined role for your site.
- Have incentives, be it social interaction, fame, status on your site, perks, whatever. People need a reason to keep going.
- Be a leader, be involved
- If you have the staff, then someone to be dedicated to taking care of your writers, their work and promotion of their work
- Try your damnest to get a lot of traffic on a consistant basis. One motivator for writers is that they know that 10.000 people read their article instead of just 100. Do be open about the numbers too, for better or worse.
- Be prepared to fail on a consistant basis in getting volunteer staff, only a certain % will ever work out, so hone your skills in getting the staff process going and getting failures out of the way asap.

And yes, sometimes writers do sell themselves a bit too high. Just doing some article on a site and the article gets 3 dollars worth of traffic, then its not really worth paying you a full time wage over. Some medium level writers do realize that getting into established sites and their work out to many people can be a stepping stone not only honing your skills, but also more serious positions at major sites.

But when you just start a gamingsite.. how will you get 10000 people in the beginning to read your articles? In the beginning you are stuck at that 100, sow how to motivate your crew then?

1 topics   13 posts

But when you just start a gamingsite.. how will you get 10000 people in the beginning to read your articles? In the beginning you are stuck at that 100, sow how to motivate your crew then?

Thats the dilemma just about all new gaming sites face, we face that too, but fortunately we have a core group of a dozen people. Its quite hard to start up a gaming site unless you get lucky, get the right angle or just the right popular articles. Its going to be a struggle for a long time to come, might as well buckle in. And be mindful that if you want to do it right, then it could cost you money out of your own pockets for a long while. And be prepared to fail a lot and often, but learn to handle failures quickly and land on your feet, then get on with things.

As for motivating those that work for you, well be prepared to pay for perks out of your own pocket sometimes, and also try to make your site into something that makes it worth people's while to make work, aka better than what someone could just throw up on their own with a CMS+cheap skin.

Its even worse now since the financial crisis has caused low tier ads to drop in payout, so you make even less than you did a year or two ago.

0 topics   4 posts
well we have also a few members who are very dedicated, but still: most of them are students. They're really hard to motivate. I love to do stuff on sites, so for me just doing real things is motivation enough at this point. But that doesn't count for other people. For my own study, I have to work a lot on a Laptop, so that's making it easier for me.

1 topics   13 posts
Well I won't let you down, Kevin, that's for sure ;-) We might also attract new members in the summer, since we go with four people (me and three others) to Kolhn for the Gamescom. With a 'normal' video coverage and backstage (us working and stuff) we might get viewers who watch it, like it and stick to our site... But I mostly don't mind if my work gets read or not, I just want people to like it, since that's our very role in this part of the industry.

2 topics   72 posts
Page 5 out of 5 | <<<12345>>>

Moderators: Tom