Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Page 2 out of 5 | <<<12345>>>
Good Staff Are Hard To Find These Days
lol well I'm only in university I don't have the money to be paying people. I do it for free because I do it out of love why can't other people? lol Theres gotta be other ppl out there who love doing it, im not askin ppl to do it full time either, jus as a hobby

5 topics   7 posts
We at undercover-gaming are all volunteers, most of us are just students or are even on schools for people till 18 years (high school??)

1 topics   13 posts
Sometimes it's just hard to know whether you should invest in a website. I personally feel the desperate need to know more and more about a website before I pour all of my resources into it. Not because I want to get paid or get free games or anything that superficial, but because I want to know that the site I'm putting my energy and work on is getting seen and acknowledged and having some progress. But, I probably have a different outlook because I'm fairly young compared to the rest of the folks on here.

I just have a strong desire to find a website that I can stick to and be nowhere else. A place I know I can post something on any day of the week and have steady users to communicate with and other staff members to keep in contact with more than a few days a week. It's sort of like a young basketball player trying to find the best team to stick with because he wants to be a part of a franchise. I don't want to move from site to site.

3 topics   8 posts
You're condemning your writers' expectations, yet you flaunt your own? That's some kind of hypocrisy, I'm sure.

1 topics   7 posts
Good staffers are easy to find.

Good volunteers are hard to find.

1 topics   33 posts
Mitch Dyer wrote...
You're condemning your writers' expectations, yet you flaunt your own? That's some kind of hypocrisy, I'm sure.

I am not condemning, they are all good people, just wish they were a bit more commited and dedicated, some of them do a great job but others lack the enthusiasim and dedication that I'm looking for

5 topics   7 posts
Expecting a volunteer to be dedicated or committed at all means you don't "get it." Which is fine, but seriously, gaming sites are a dime a dozen. If someone is as dedicated as me, I tell them to start their own site. If they want to write for me, great. But honestly, this isn't really a hard industry in which to excel. The bar is pretty damned low.

1 topics   33 posts
I've written, and continue to write, for free for something like 6 years. I do decently with paid gigs, but still like to write stuff that doesn't fit with my paid outlets for smaller sites or places without a budget. I am an anomaly. I'm not bragging, by any means, but there are very few people that are willing to write consistently, for free. Dedicating yourself to something like 5 posts per week *is* work, so it's no wonder your not-good staff has an issue with consistent writing. Pushing someone to work for you without any benefit is going to push them away, not deeper into a passionate love for what they're doing. I learned that when I started running Nukoda.com and hiring folks for that. You can't force someone to do something, even if they like to do it. It'll only make 'em not wanna do it.

Expecting some Joe to write regularly for you out of the gate, for a site they have literally no investment in beyond "I might want to write about games sometime" is foolish. It's totally manageable and there are some people who are willing to go hard from day one, but you need to let your writers write what and when they can. If you can't offer them anything, why should they offer you anything?

These people are volunteering to help you. Even though you're The Boss, you're really just some dude on the internet to volunteer writers. There's no shortage of places to go to write pro-bono and to get free games (the wrong reason a lot of people start doing this) so they'll go somewhere that's willing to be flexible if you aren't.

1 topics   7 posts
Mitch Dyer wrote...
I've written, and continue to write, for free for something like 6 years. I do decently with paid gigs, but still like to write stuff that doesn't fit with my paid outlets for smaller sites or places without a budget. I am an anomaly. I'm not bragging, by any means, but there are very few people that are willing to write consistently, for free. Dedicating yourself to something like 5 posts per week *is* work, so it's no wonder your not-good staff has an issue with consistent writing. Pushing someone to work for you without any benefit is going to push them away, not deeper into a passionate love for what they're doing. I learned that when I started running Nukoda.com and hiring folks for that. You can't force someone to do something, even if they like to do it. It'll only make 'em not wanna do it.

Expecting some Joe to write regularly for you out of the gate, for a site they have literally no investment in beyond "I might want to write about games sometime" is foolish. It's totally manageable and there are some people who are willing to go hard from day one, but you need to let your writers write what and when they can. If you can't offer them anything, why should they offer you anything?

These people are volunteering to help you. Even though you're The Boss, you're really just some dude on the internet to volunteer writers. There's no shortage of places to go to write pro-bono and to get free games (the wrong reason a lot of people start doing this) so they'll go somewhere that's willing to be flexible if you aren't.

I can see both sides of this discussion. I know that Matt has a lot of enthusiasm and wants to makes something special. I think that many of us in the gaming press desire the same thing. We push ourselves and continually hone our craft to try and bring something special to our readership. Many of us, while perhaps wanting to one day write for a living, devote our spare time to the industry because we love it and know that we have something to share.

Mitch also brings up valid points. It is easy sometimes to forget that, despite our enthusiasm, many writers are doing this voluntarily. There simply aren't enough paid positions to go around, and the competition for said positions is fierce. Those of us in senior administrative roles must remember that it's not always easy or realistic to push staff writers as hard as a paid employee can be pushed. Rather than hoisting unrealistic expectations, we must recognize what our staff writers do for us and appreciate that first. Ask honest questions, like, "How many articles can you provide for us in a week?" or "If we're able to secure a review copy from our PR partner, what is the earliest reasonable time that we can expect a review draft from you?"

You just cannot bark orders at your volunteers and expect them to jump at your command. Leadership and respect in this volunteer line of work is earned, not just given. We have to motivate. Talk up web traffic numbers. Assign titles and maybe a bit more responsibility for those who are working the hardest. Promote from within whenever possible.

I have agreed to work with Matt, at least for the short term, and help him with staff organization and some copy editing duties in a limited capacity. I'm hoping that the end result will be a positive and promising one.

0 topics   4 posts
You know? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that good volunteers are fucking easy to find, and if you aren't finding them, you're doing something wrong.

Resolution isn't a big site. We have a couple of hundred unique readers a day, usually, hitting a thousand or so if some of our more established friends (usually Rock, Paper, Shotgun) link back to us. When we put out a small, unassuming ad for some talented volunteers to join our freelance team, we had tonnes of responses, a few from genuinely promising and enthusiastic writers.

Let's get cynical.

I'll write for anyone who throws a wad of cash in my direction. Simple as. I'll write in whatever style they demand, I'll drop my byline, I'll dismiss a genre I love as rubbish if that's what the audience demands... whatever. Work's work, y'know? You've got to sell your soul a bit. From my perspective, unless I'm dead busy or *really* opposed to what you're doing, I'll write for you if you ask me to and offer me some coins in line with what I usually earn.

If someone approaches me asking me to do some free stuff for them, they can usually go to hell. Yet I still contribute for free to two sites. Both are non-profit organisations, and both - here's the real meat and bones of it, guys - are *really good*. The content is lively and refreshing, the readership is strong, the writers equally passionate about their craft, the editing up to scratch... it all goes a really long way. If I'm dead into your site when you show me it, I'm probably quite likely to agree to the odd freebie. If I'm not - and remember, there are a hell of a lot of games sites out there - I'll probably send you a stock "thanks but no thanks," and most definitely wouldn't respond to an ad.

You need to find these reasons for people to *want* to write for you, as no one owes you anything. Are you coming at videogames from an unusual angle? Are you writing inspiring, thought-provoking content on a regular basis? Do you have a decent prod-ed? Could a really talented writer's work sit neatly in with the rest of your stuff? Y'know: why are they going to *want* to write for you?

With that sort of quality comes links from the big boys and, eventually, an increase of traffic - and a combination of the quality and the readership is what's going to sway it in your favour. I'd like to think this is what's happened with Reso, to an extent, and why we've never had a problem recruiting volunteers. I always say this, but it's surprising how far being really fucking good will get you, y'know?

Oh, finally: remember to actually do that advertising. This might sound obvious, but I've just been on your site and can't find a single mention of the fact that you're recruiting. Not everyone writing about games reads Gameleon and GamesPress, you know? Scour around the internet, actually *do some searching*. Don't be afraid to nick freelancers from elsewhere, and don't be afraid to plug the hell out of your vacancies.

8 topics   62 posts
Page 2 out of 5 | <<<12345>>>

Moderators: Tom