Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » Print - Magazines...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Speaking in London next week about games mags.
Hi everyone,

I'm a little bit "Eeek!" at the moment, as next week I'm due to give a presentation about some of my business plan research (for a new games mag), at The Publishing Expo, Olympia 2, London, at 15:30pm Wednesday 24th Feb.
See: http://www.publishing-expo.co.uk/2010-seminar-programme-overview for more info.

My session is part presentation, part discussion panel - discussing how print mags about topics popular on the internet can still exist, despite the growth in online, and problems at the newsstand.

My panellists include James Gale, joint director of Papercut Publishing, who published "Your DSi and DS" and "Wii Fitness" one-shot mags last year (he previously worked at Rapide on Dave "Unstoppable Games Animal" Perry's Station magazine); Christopher Lockwood, creative & publishing director at Craft Publishing, who has just taken fashion and style magazine Distill from a print magazine to an iPhone Application [search the app store for "Distill"]; and finally, Steve Harris, via Skype, who's relaunching Electronic Gaming Monthly in the states soon, alongside EGM[i]: The Digital Magazine, and www.egmnow.com

More info on the publishing expo in general can be found here:
http://www.publishing-expo.co.uk

My presentation is on the Wednesday, but the following day also sees Future Publishing's CEO Stevie Spring and Guardian News & Media's MD Tim Brooks discussing the future of publishing.
You can watch a video of Stevie here, who says some nice things about the quality of content being made by fansite owners:

"Arguably any Tom, Dick, or Harry, with access to a PC or a phone, is a publisher....so we are talking tens of millions of, in effect, vanity publishers who are doing it for nothing; many of whom - I know there's a lot of rubbish - but many of whom have excellent, valid opinions, write well...are good content producers." - Stevie Spring, CEO Future Plc, interviewed by Aidan Walker at: http://www.publishing-expo.co.uk/publishing-expo-tv-0

Anyway, entry is free if anyone wants to pop down, and I'll be in London 23rd-25th anyway, if anyone wants to meet, =).

14 topics   111 posts
Man I'd love to go, if only to work the room. Unfortunatly London is a bit difficult for me at the moment(I'm currently 'between cars'). Well best of luck to you.

4 topics   6 posts
Ahh...it's okay, the room's full of boring suit types anyway, ;-). [Management, circulation execs, subscription people]...you'll meet more games editorial people at, say, the Edinburgh Interactive Festival coming up in August...or, that Games Convention thingie that takes place in Germany, =). Or even the London Games Festival later in the year.

There's a really good roundtable in the latest issue of MCV, with Future, Imagine, Uncooked, VideoGamer, Kikizo, IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, etc, all talking about the current state of games media...you should be able to download it for free from www.mcvuk.com tomorrow or somewhen [the online version goes up a day or so later methinks].

Thanks for the well wishes. =P I was getting a bit down about the recent poor circulation results, but speaking to Steve today, EGM[i] seems really impressive, and that's got me excited again, =D. As has your comment of course, ;-).

Heehee...I'm doing London for £38, ;-). Booked the train far enough in advance to get a £21.50 return ticket, and then paid £16 pounds something for two nights at a youth hostel, ;-).
I'm such a cheap ass...;-).

14 topics   111 posts
Nothing wrong with cheap man. Also thanks for the tips and I'm glad my comment cheered you up.

4 topics   6 posts

Moderators: Tom