Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » Print - Magazines...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Approaching Print & Online Media -How?
Why hello there fellow gameleon.

Our studio ( www.fatcowgames.net ) is about to finish an iPhone game, so I was looking for some guidance/tips on how to approach Magazines & Other Print Media? Also, why not just ask about online sites too? Who should I contact and how should I approach them. Should I send an email asking if they would consider reviewing the game? I have not done such an extensive marketing campaign before but I wanted to learn and do it properly this time.

Any recommendation on who I should contact? Especially iPhone related once?
And if anyone here is interested in doing it, I will gladly send over a copy for a serious and honest review which will also be used to patch the game later.

Any advice outside of my questions isalso welcome.

Thank you ahead of time.

-Amit-

1 topics   2 posts
I assume contacting the press and asking for coverage would be the right approach, but I can't speak as a dev or anyone who's done this before. Usually the editor is the person to contact, but sometimes there'll be a reviews editor you can contact also. Some websites, such as Gamespot UK, have one email address that all editorial enquiries can be sent to, and it'll get picked up by the whole team ( i.e. edit@gamespot.co.uk ).

Personally, what I would recommend is dropping a line to another iPhone developer, and asking what they've done. I don't know many iPhone devs myself, but do know an outfit that did some PSN Mini games, and may be expanding to other downloadable formats in the future. Laughing Jackal was the developer's name, and they can be contacted via alasdair.evans@laughingjackal.co.uk

Also, check out Gameleon's Media Directory. For example, Megaton can be found in there. Whilst Megaton is a small UK kids mag, it nonetheless dedicates a whole page (or sometimes two pages) to iPad and iPhone reviews.

As well as the Gameleon directory, there are comprehensive contact details for many publishers on www.gamespress.com Once registered there, you can also issue a press release, which gets picked up by most UK videogames websites, =), and also many globally also.

Also, there are a few other iPhone devs lurking around Gameleon, who may be able to offer some advice also.

Pocketgamer.co.uk might be a good site to approach also.

14 topics   111 posts
^_^, lol...too many "also"s in that post, ;-).

14 topics   111 posts
Totally forgot - there's also: www.indiegamemag.com

14 topics   111 posts
Send a release to the editor of the game section. Make sure your have an "elevator pitch" two line statement explaining what your game is. Most importantly, have a video (vimeo, youtube, etc) showing off your gameplay. If possible, include a demo.

0 topics   3 posts

Moderators: Tom