Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » Online - Websites    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Paying Sites
I've been throwing out my query nets left and right, and I've been making some catches as of late. A problem I'm still consistently finding however is that there are a lot of sites out there that look really professional and don't explicitly say they're looking for volunteers only.

I don't know about you guys but I just hate getting an interested email back from an editor and then only after having them offer you a position have them say, "Oh, we don't pay though."

As such, I propose we create a list of sites that we know pay. Even if it's barely anything, it might be nice to have a compilation of the venues that we know will give you something more tangible then "valuable experience." :)

I'll start:

TheGameReviews.com- Pay depends on the kind of article you're writing. I do mostly features and get 7 bucks a piece. Reviews pay 10. You also get bonuses depending on how many views your articles get, which can be nice if you manage to strike a popular topic. One article of mine last year raked in 40,000 views and I was subsequently paid about a 100 dollars for it.

StrategyInformer.com- I did hold a paid, non-writing, staff position with them at one point but unfortunately recession forced them to let me go. That said, they still pay me as a freelancer to write. They started me off writing editorials at about 20 dollars a piece, though after some time I was able to negotiate that up a bit. I would suggest submitting here. The owner and editor are really nice guys, the site is very nice and they could really use some good editorials. I am basically responsible for a good half of the opinion pieces they've published since that section opened up and as of late, I've been lacking any sort of opinions to write about.

GamesRadar- We all know this site and if you are able to come up with funny, succinct features they'll buy them off of you. Similarly, if you have a knack for reviewing games in under 600 words they'd like you. I was told they pay between 100-150 for reviews depending on the prominence of the game, and recently I sold them a feature for 250 dollars.

5 topics   11 posts
The Escapist pays 25 cents a word for features and is very freelancer friendly. Their flat-fee review and column rates aren't as high, but they're quite reasonable. You'll have to break in with a good pitch/idea.

Cheat Code Central pays based on a writer's experience, ability, and time with the site, but I believe they're pretty full up on writers at the moment.

6 topics   34 posts
ProjectLore.com (World of Warcraft site) pays per post, 250 word minimum. Not handsome by any means though. You'd have to apply to be a staff writer for most gigs, but they do allow freelancing on spec for guides and such.

3 topics   9 posts

Moderators: Tom