Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Made2Game Is Recruiting!
Hello Gameleon users,

My name is Dean Samways. I am the relaunch editor of Made2Game. You may have heard of the site. We are looking for brand new writing and content production talent to resurrect the games site and make it an even bigger success.

Made2Game is a website with a focus on quirky, creative features. Think you have a top ten walls in videogames you can list? Can you capture Lara's seven shrillest screams in Tomb Raider? We also have a mission of delivering the very latest games news with an opinionated twist. Then there are the bread and butter, but equally as important, articles; previews, reviews and blogs.

The beauty of Made2Game is that we can be as creative as we like. There's no corporate leash. No editorial restrictions. Our only goal is increase the popularity of the site and build a dedicated audience. In my experience, the most effective way of doing this is to give the reader the most innovative, thought-provoking, witty and funny content anywhere on the net. Sounds alright doesn't it?

As we look to get find our feet I'm looking for a number of things in potential contributors:

1) Regular Writers:

I'd like to publish at least five pieces of original content daily. The ideal ratio would be one feature to four news stories. Of course when we are fortunate enough to secure a review it will be published in addition to the daily content. I'd also like to have a weekly blog post that will hopefully inspire a reaction from the community via our social media channels.

2) Section Editors:

Realising I can't do this on my own I'd like to delegate some of the responsibility. Talented, organised contributors who are a dab hand at CMSs and managing small teams might be keen to prove their mettle as Made2Game section editors. We’re looking for folk who can keep tabs on writers, their commitments and generally ensuring we meet our targets of uploading five new pieces of content-a-day. For example, our news editor might like to dish out story ideas from something they’ve seen in the media and then, when the piece comes back, sub it and publish it. The features editor will do the same thing for meatier pieces. They might even have a ton of ideas they either want to put into words themselves or hand to others to run with.

If these roles are challenges you’d be interested in then I’m interested in hearing from you. On the other hand, if there’s something you’re passionate about doing as a one off or on a regular basis, run it by me and we’ll see what we can do.

Naturally, as somewhat of a phoenix from the flames, we won’t be able to pay any writers at first. We know. We’ve been there too. But what we can offer is an opportunity to show the media what you can do and the fact you can do it off your own back; for the love and knowledge of the subject. Employers will look at that and love it. Trust us. You’ll get to keep the copies of any games you review and, if you’re able to, attend press events to preview games and generally network with other journos. We’ll naturally give a shining reference for your CV and LinkedIn account praising everything you’ve done for Made2Game. Assuming everything you’ve done for Made2Game is praiseworthy.

Do you eat, sleep, breath videogames? Published journalist or an aspiring writer, it doesn’t matter. If you have great feature ideas or can commit to writing regular news stories please get in touch and we’ll give you more information about how you can get involved.

Equally, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to get in touch.

You can mail me on: dean.samways@gmail.com

Thanks for your time. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Dean.
Twitter: @Deanways

1 topics   2 posts
Hi Dean

Thanks for the message, I would definitely be keen on joining your journey, I am currently a game and tech journalist for Playboy SA, and would love the opportunity to grow even more. I fit your needs perfectly.

0 topics   1 posts
Hi Marco,

Thanks for your reply. Can you mail me with your availability and what content area you'd be particularly interested in covering (news, features etc.)?

My email is: dean.samways@gmail.com

Thanks,

Dean.

1 topics   2 posts
For the sake of aspiring writers without my years of experience, I'll point to Dan Gril's post on working for free. It includes comments from many established journalists.

http://funambulism.com/2011/07/journalism-when-is-it-justified-for-a-writer-to-work-for-free/

Personally, I was a successful games journalist for eight years and I never once had to work for free. I have strong opinions on this topic.

0 topics   1 posts
Hi Dean.

Thanks for the message. Obviously being an aspiring Games Journalist currently going through the journey of University, I'd love for any chance to be able to contribute and publish any future writings I have on Made2Game. Payment really isn't an issue, as I'm just looking for a starting ground and some experience. But I've been dedicated to writing about games for a good 4-5 years now, and I believe that I've got what you need to get this site where you want to get it too.. Ideally, I'd be willing to contribute news, but I'm capable of writing features, or reviews, as needed.

University doesn't take much out of me personally (Around 2-3 days per week so far), so I can normally find a good amount of time to dedicate to the site, and to my writing. If this sounds all good with you, perhaps we can work a few things out.

0 topics   1 posts
I am with Joe Martin. Your website was not designed for free. Your electricity is not being bestowed upon thee by a higher power because they think your idea is so great. You pay for your offices, yourself, your food... The list goes on. Is there a nirvana which I don't know about where writers get free food, rent. housing, school fees? Just wondering. I have just browsed through all the jobs on here and every single one asks us to work for free. Sorry, but a glowing recommendation means absolutely nothing to my bank.

0 topics   1 posts
Hi Dean, check your inbox, I have replied to your message. Thanks :)

0 topics   1 posts
Howdy,

Thanks very much to Marco, Ryan and Amit. I would've been in touch with you individually to talk M2G by now.

Thank you to Joe and Tamsin for their input too. I really enjoyed Dan's piece and in many respects it goes a long way to supporting what we're having, not choosing, to do at Made2Game.

For example, we are not sat on a personal fortune able to pay contributors from the off, unlike some established and recently established, but already hugely influential, sites. We have had a lot of interest from those willing to write to build their portfolio and from these I will be selecting only the very best talent. I want to rebuild M2G with an express focus on great writing from passionate, gifted gamers. As a trained journalist and veteran of the games industry, only the very highest standards will do. Of course these standards are leashed somewhat by our inability to offer compensation but I'm hoping my team will share in my vision of building M2G into a profit-making enterprise where we can all share the benefits.

For the sake of transparency let me say this. I am between jobs right now. I have taken up the gauntlet of relaunching M2G not for monetary gain but to demonstrate to an incredibly competitive industry leads that I can manage a website. I have been set targets by the site's owner. If I hit these in the space of six weeks (two to go) I will be paid a small amount of money. I'm not saying how much but rest assured it's some way off what a month's rent would've been in my old Camden flat. I am writing this post sat in my pyjamas in my family home in the West Country. I could choose not to do this and instead concentrate on applying for one of the million jobs out there that I don't want to do but instead I'm doing this. I am doing this to better myself. To implement skills and employ year's of experience and channel them into one passion project. Building a team of dedicated gamers and writers has already proved a thrilling challenge and I look forward to working with them in the future. If there are quality writers out there who share my passion and vision for making M2G great and building their own personal portfolio and are willing to do some for free, who am I to stand in the way of their own career advancement?

Joe, like you I have freelanced for several publications; each fully commissioned. I wouldn't be human if I didn't feel that what I am doing was somewhat ethically questionable Inside Xbox, Orange Digital (games channel), 360 Gamer, Now Gamer, Official UK PlayStation Magazine and Total Film have all seen fit to pay me in the past and for that I consider myself extremely lucky. Of course I wouldn't have been able to do that without demonstrating my skills for nothing but a good reference and a few extra pages in my portfolio. Before going to university I worked, voluntarily, at Future Publishing. That resulted in regular freelance work that continued for over a year. During my studies I returned to complete the work experience module of my journalism course. After graduating with a good degree, I interned as Drowned in Sound's and The Quietus' news editor before becoming editor of the Orange games channel. I'm only telling you this to demonstrate that I have been in the position I am asking my contributors to occupy now. I hope they realise that I understand/ I will absolutely not be asking them to do anything they do not agree with and will instead look to nurture their talent and help move their career forward in anyway I can.

Mr Martin, you have highlighted on many occasions that you have never worked for free and you receive payment for all your work. Congratulations. You are one of the lucky few. But even you should understand M2G's mission having completed a spell of work experience at Future Publishing; just like me.

Anyway, I hope this goes some way to explaining my intentions. All the best to everyone. Now to hoist the mainsail on the good ship M2G.

Dean.

1 topics   2 posts
Hi Dean, not sure if you're still on the lookout for writers but just in case I've fired an e-mail your way.

0 topics   2 posts

Moderators: Tom