Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games J... » General Games Jou...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Business Card tips for aspiring professionals
I posted this on the Videogame Journos board first, but in the interest of polling as many people as possible I've brought it here as well.

I've come to a point where even though I don't get paid to write, I'm being asked for business cards. I'd like to get your thoughts on what makes a good card in this profession.

I also have a few specific questions:
- Since I'm a volunteer writer for a small site, should the card present me as a writer for that site (even though no one has heard of it) or should I get that information across as I introduce myself and just let the card provide contact info?
- Someone told me I should have a fax number. Are they nuts?
- Which makes the most sense: "gaming journalist", "gaming reporter", "videogame journalist", "videogame reporter", or something else?
- Are graphics appropriate?

If you guys have any examples of cards you've liked or cards you use yourselves, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

1 topics   3 posts
I remember rather hurridly creating a business card for one of the first sites I was writing for, which was voluntary, and only later realised this was pretty pre-emptive when I'd started to contribute to a few different sites.
I would recommend for journalism creating a card that represents you and not the site, then you can always use it wherever your writing goes.

I've noticed some people add their LinkedIn url to cards now, I think that makes good sense if it's a card purely for you, a quick link what is almost a virtual CV, probably really useful if you've given your card to a prospective employer too :)

1 topics   17 posts
Like Emily recommended I would also go for the personal business card instead of representing you as the writer for the site you currently write for, especially if you are indeed freelancing and have no ownership in the site.

Asking for a fax number is just about as nuts as asking for a business card in my opinion, but having a fax number does "sound" professional. I think there is a solution where you have a fax number that automatically sends the fax in an attachment to your email, if you really want to put a fax number on your business card you may want to look into that.

Some simple graphics can be stylish, although I would not recommend to put real heavy graphics on it, but that's a matter of taste.

I've seen business cards where Twitter and LinkedIn links were provided, but have not come across one yet with their Gameleon.net link, you might consider it :p

5 topics   52 posts
Thanks for the advice guys

1 topics   3 posts

Moderators: Tom