Search:
Location Search   Member Search
  Browse   Categories   Games I... » General Games Ind...    

Forum
Forum
Discuss and share thoughts and interests
Anyone Else As Disgusted As I Am?
 As a gaming journalist, I feel that we as an industry are letting the publishers/developers get away with making excuses as to why thier products suck or do not work correctly. I just saw a response from John Smedley the President of Sony Online on twitter to someone who was talking about the lag in DCUO. I quote "we are working on the lag. Very bluntly this has been a wee bit more successful than we planned on. Sorry".

This to me is a total cop out. Our game is not working right due to it being more successful than they thought it would be? So your telling me either you didn't think that your game was good enough or that you just didn't care. I understand things happen but it seems that more and more these companies are pushing crap down our throats and until we start standing up as an industry and saying something, things will not change.

2 topics   6 posts
Hmm...in this case I'm not sure.

I'm not saying that publishers/developers don't often make stupid excuses. EA's recent "whoops, we forgot to include Battlefield 1943" bit with the Battlefield 3 was pretty lame for instance. That said, in the case of MMOs especially, I feel it's still untested waters to an extent. DCUO received at best a mediocre reception when it first launched. It wasn't a critical bomb, but it wasn't lauded either. Now reports are coming out that since going free to play its revenues have jumped 700%? For that kind of increase you'd need a massive boost in its audience and I could honestly buy a company not being prepared for that.

5 topics   11 posts
Ill give you that Stew when it comes to MMO's but they had to expect a large fluctuation when it went to free-to-play. But I agree with the analogy when it comes to the BF 1943, now it is sounding like they never had intended on adding it to the first place? Its getting ridiculous and the sad part is for the most part.... we are taking it. I know there is a lawsuit now, but obviously when you have a company like EA, they have teams of lawyers and I for one am not so sure the gamers are going to win. I am just upset that we are not standing up more. We as journalists are alot of times the mouth piece for the industry and yet many keep their heads down and do not say anything. Reviews are a good start but it is only a beginning... even if we do review a bad game it is still giving it some publicity. And we all know the old adage... "Bad publicity is better than no publicity"

2 topics   6 posts

Moderators: Tom